2015 Schedule of Meetings and Programs
All membership meetings of the Mount Joy Area Historical Society are held the 3rd Monday of the month, from March through November, beginning at 7:00 p.m., in the Society museum building at 120 Fairview Street, Mount Joy. One exception is our annual picnic, scheduled for Monday, August 17, 2015, which will begin at 6:30 p.m., and is held outside on the museum grounds.
- March 16th – Bob Lehr will speak about The Golden Age of Piracy. Did you know pirates plied the waters of the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays? Learn about these American pirates and their booty!
- April 20th – Ginny Honafus will present a program about the Patriot Daughters of Lancaster. The Patriot Daughters played an important role during the Civil War.
- May 18th – Geologist/paleontologist Chris Haefner will share with us the secret of the immense silver discovery he made in 1974, at age 14, at the Pequea Silver Mines in southern Lancaster County.
- June 15th – Gregg Scott will visit the Society discuss Old Lancaster Architecture – its beauty, artistry and historicity.
- July 20th – We will host Barry Giberson, who’ll tell us about the history of Lancaster County baseball. What better topic in midsummer!
- August 17th – The Society’s annual picnic on the grounds at 120 Fairview Street. Bring a dish to share – hot dogs are provided! Our program will be presented by Middlecreek Search and Rescue (MIDSAR), with a “Meet and Greet” program, including a dog demonstration and Q & A period.
- September 21st – TBA
- October 19th – Historian Nic Ellis will share the story of William Henry “Lebbie” Lebkicher, Milton S. Hershey’s friend and right-hand man during the creation of Hershey’s candy dynasty.
- November 16th – Tim and Sue Mackey, of Lancaster, will present living history in the persons of President James Buchanan and his niece and White House hostess, Harriet Lane.
Refreshments are served at the conclusion of each meeting. We hope to see you at one, or all, of our programs and events this year, as well as at our open house, held every Sunday afternoon from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., at the Society Building on Fairview Street.